Firefly Electric Wheelchair Power Attachment
The Firefly is a powerful compact electric power attachment for use with manual wheelchairs.
Use of the Firefly gives users the ability to go anywhere they want including over rough terrains and up steep gradients.
Simply clip it on to your manual wheelchair and convert it into a powered trike in seconds!
This listing is the Next Generation Model - Firefly 2.0!
The Firefly has been approved for the Access to Work scheme in GB.
We can also ship to Germany, France, Netherlands and other selected areas of EU !
Why buy from us?
- - We are lSO9001 accredited
- - We are members ofthe BHTA
- - We are an NHS and HSE supplier
- - A family business since 1846
Home demonstrations available throughout Ireland, Scotland & England.
Get in touch to arrange your test drive today - Call 028 92 677 077 and our expert team will be delighted to help.
We are ISO9001 accredited and a member of the British Healthcare Traders Association so you have peace of mind that you are dealing with a reputable and trusted family business.
We have been a family business since 1846.
The Firefly is an electric power add on that attaches to the front of most rigid frame wheelchairs and even some folding models of manual wheelchairs.
Firefly 2.0 Next Generation Model Enhancements
- Changed from twist grip throttle with separate forward /reverse switch to individual forward and reverse thumb throttles making it easier for lefties and those who have limited wrist rotation.
- Changed from a 4 point attachment system to a simpler quick release 2 point attachment which greatly speeds up the attachment and detachment from the wheelchair.
- Improved dual disc and v breaking system
- New Improved lighter weight Lithium battery pack
- New improved frame design comes apart for transport and storage.
The Firefly has a lightweight lithium battery with extra long life and gives you an extended real-world range of up to 15 miles or more. An additional Battery pack may also be purchased if you wish to extend your range.
The Firefly battery lasts for over 3000 charge cycles, compared to only 500 cycles for a heavier lead-acid battery.
The Firefly is easy to control and manoeuvre with power brakes, reverse buttons and throttle all within easy reach.
It can be driven both forward and in reverse giving the user maximum control in a variety of situations.
Fitting the Firefly is quick and easy and once attached it can be adjusted to suit a variety of users including both children and adults (Please consult your healthcare professional to verify whether use of the Firefly is appropriate with your medical condition.)
Firefly fits most rigid frame wheelchairs and some folding frame chairs provided they dont have swing away legrests.
The handcycle attachment system can be mounted to frame tube diameters 22.2mm, 25.4mm, 28.6mm, 30mm, 31.8mm and 34.9mm (7/8", 1", 1 1/8", 1.2", 1 1/4", 1 3/8”).
We also offer alternative brackets to fit oval shaped tubing like that found on the Quickie Helium ,Xenon & Q7 models. These are available as an accessory option.
The standard pack includes both a set of 1.25 inch clamps and a selection of shim sizes to reduce the clamp down to fit other sizes.
Please contact us to discuss compatibility with your current wheelchair.
The Firefly can attach to almost all wheelchairs with fixed front legs.
This can include folding wheelchairs - as long as the front legs / forks are fixed in place.
The Firefly cannot attach to wheelchairs with 'swing away' front legs.
It is compatible with wheelchairs with a seat width between 14" and 22".
For narrower wheelchairs - please see the document in the 'downloads' tab that shows how the frame can be made to be more narrow.
For wheelchairs with a seat with of less than 12" then we can supply a custom built frame - just choose this option above.
There is an image in the gallery to help demonstrate this and we are here to help anytime on 028 92 633 798.
Firefly is not a Class 3 product and is therefore not to be used on the public highway in the UK. It is not advisable to use this in the rain and you should avoid puddles where possible.
Firefly Key Features
- Clips on and off your existing wheelchair in seconds
- Go twice the speed of a power wheelchair
- Takes you anywhere you want,
- including hills and over grass
- Loads easily in any car
- Maximum user weight 115kg
- Silver and black powder coat
Firefly 2.0 Enhancements
- Separate forward and reverse thumb throttles
- Speed limiter included
- Lightweight Lithium Battery
- New 2 point Lever activated attachment
- Easily attaches and detaches from your wheelchair
- Fits a wide range of both folding and rigid wheelchair models
- Battery Lithium ion 36V, 6.6AH, 238 Wh
- Battery Range >15 miles/24 km
- Charger 36V, 2A, input
- voltage 100~240V
- Charging Time ~4 hours if battery is fully discharged
- Motor 350W, 36V geared brushless, hub motor
- 140mm disc brake and Promax V-brake
Frame & Components
- Frame Aluminum 6061
- Tire 12.5″ X 2.25″ (62-203)
- Light LED
- Attachment Frame Weight 5.8 lbs / 2.6 kg
- Drive Unit Weight 14.3 lbs / 6.5 kg
- Battery Weight 4.5 lbs / 2.0 kg
- Total Weight 24.6 lbs / 11.2 kg
- Maximum user weight 115kg
- Shipping Dimensions 36” x 9” x 13”/ 93cm x 22cm x 32cm
- Shipping Weight 31.0 lbs / 14.0 kg
Clamps and shims included in your package:
- 4 x 1.25 inch Clamps
- 4 x small shims
- 4 x medium shims
- 4 x large shims
What clamp and shim to use for each tube size:
Clamp and Shim
Clamp + 1 x extra small shim ( thinnest shim )
Clamp + small shim
Clamp + medium shim
Clamp + large shim ( thickest shim )
Your Firefly comes with a 1 year warranty.
The battery has a 3 month warranty and is subject to you retaining a charge of between 20-80%.
You must check this charge level if not using your Firefly to ensure it remains in optimum condition.
We advise keeping the battery charge at between 20-80% for the lifetime of the product.
We highly recommend that you email us photos of your wheelchair to email@example.com so that we can help ascertain the suitability of this product.
We are product Experts with many years experience of supply suitable aids and equipment.
Do you want to consider suspension wheels for comfort? Speak to us about our options as we can provide a package that includes specialist suspension wheels such as Loopwheels.
We just have to share the lovely feedback we got from one of our customers who purchased a Firefly from us and is absolutely delighted with it;
Customer name: Christine Squires
" I just have to share with you the laughs and joy the attachment of the Firefly has made. Today it was finally fitted and given a test drive and I have never laughed so much for a long time.
Even people passing me stopped to watch it and said what a brilliant machine. Now I can play with it all I like and I am sure enjoys lots more laughs as I get used to using the brakes! I am 110% delighted and will be using it a lot as it has brought another dimension to my life following recent wrist surgery.
I notice that the battery is 36v which is higher than the Firefly booklet describes but I do wish to purchase another one so any help or direction that way would be most helpful.
Thank you so so much for all your help I am one very highly delighted Firefly user and it's amazing. "
Get in touch with our expert team today to arrange your home assessment with the Firefly wheelchair power attachment.
Call 028 92 677 077 and our helpful staff will be delighted to arrange a time convenient to you.