The Tomcat Hand Bike now available throughout Scotland
It is the world’s first Hand-Propelled trike that can be fitted with a Carer Control system, for the parent to brake, steer and aid propulsion from behind.
It is designed for users with wide ranging disabilities but no use, or extremely little use of their legs
Children and adults with little or no use of their legs, amputees etc
- Custom Built to your childs individual needs
- Can be fitted with Tomcat’s Patented Carer Control System
- Low Friction – High Efficiency, Smooth, Silent (Non Oily) Belt Drive
- Counterbalanced Rotary Motion eliminates tiring heavy spots
- ‘Easily adjustable’ Hub Position allows for individual growth or Multi User applications
- Single or Multi Speed Drives
- Innovative Joystick Bar enables safe one handed cycling.
- Joystick Bar also enables easy gear change with secondary braking and steering.
- Lightweight and easily Transportable thanks to Tomcats Patented Quick Releasing Frame
- ‘Hand propelled’ only or ‘Hand and Foot’ propelled
- Trailer Bar accessory attaches Hand Cycle to a towing Bicycle
- Full range of support accessories available.
- Height adjustable foot supports
- Available with Tomcat’s Carer Control systems: Full Carer Control, Carer Braking or independent rider
- No tiring heavy spots
What’s Special about The Tomcat Handy trike?
Tomcats Handy Trike is very much designed with learning difficulties, poor motor skills and rider safety in mind. It’s a classy looking machine with single or multi-speed drives and many important features not available on other hand propelled trikes such as an optional Two-Piece Frame, trailer bar, hand AND foot drive, and either Carer Control or Carer Braking.
However, its key Hand Propelled feature is its balanced cranks.
What are “Balanced Cranks”?
When children have poor strength, co-ordination or learning difficulties, they struggle with the pendulum effect of paired crank handles and are content to rock the handles back and forth, (which is unproductive). By balancing the drive system, we have overcome that issue and riders find the Tomcat HP, simple, intuitive, and easy to use.
When fitted with Carer Control, our Tomcat Handy trike becomes very much easier to propel because holding the Carer Control arm, eliminates the “steering wander” typical of hemiplegia or other uneven arm action. The Tomcat HP also has other important benefits such as easy transportability, a non oily belt drive, full adjustability, and because the legs are often static, a much longer lifespan.
Needless to say the Tomcat Handy is bespoke for the user – be it individual or group use – from the wheels up, because we believe it’s better to make your trike after we understand your difficulties and not before! Tomcat products are about you – not us.
“The biggest difference we’ve noticed with Erin is that she’s far more confident when she’s out and about she’s able to talk to people. From a physiotherapy point of view, she’s actually building arm muscle which given her condition of SMA is fantastic. Family life has improved no end since we’ve had the trike.”
Nigel & Erin Brant
We offer free home assessments or visit our showroom in Edinburgh
See the full range of Tomcat Special Needs Trikes available in Scotland
A little about the inventor – Bob Griffin
Tomcat Special Needs Trikes founder, Bob Griffin, has been a lifelong professional engineer, with many years experience in manufacturing, marine engineering and innovation.
Bob and Tom soon became best friends and Bob looked for ways to help Tom sleep through increasing his exercise. At that time, trikes were considered unsuitable for children like Tom on safety and ability grounds, however Bob invented an entirely new kind of trike called a “Tomcat” which overcame the difficulties that were holding children like Tom back.
Its main feature was “Carer Control” – a rear steering and braking innovation that put the carer in control of every aspect of the child’s safety.
It became Tomcat signature invention, and the industry standard for special needs trike manufacturers worldwide, however, Tomcats patented system remains the gold standard by which all others are judged.
In 2013, Tomcat won the Queens award for Innovation for the 30 plus innovations that Tomcat developed for the disabled community.