The Tomcat Tiger Trike is designed specifically to match the narrow pelvis of small children and each trike custom-built to meet individual needs.
It can be built to be quite simple, or to be supportive depending on the rider. Additionally, the rider can be independent or they can be supervised.
It features a maintenance-free and friction-free drive system so any child can pedal it – even those children with very low muscle tone!
Small children have a narrow pelvis, but a standard pedal span rarely reflects that fact! Tomcat wanted Tiger riders’ posture to be totally natural, so we manufactured our own special crank and pedal system.
We saved a full 4.5cm on the pedal span by tucking the drive away inside the Tigers cool looking frame, because when pedals match pelvis, the legs are naturally comfortable and the Tiger becomes the ideal therapy tool for growing bodies.
- Suitable for user heights of 70 to 95cm in two sizes Ideal for Restricted Growth conditions
- Can be fully accessorised with foot, leg, trunk, arm and head support orthosis
- Fully independent, or optional Carer Control™ or Carer Braking™
- Frictionless belt drive with disc brakes and parkbrake
- Maintenance Free “All Internal” steering, braking and drive mechanisms
- Tomcat’s unique “Narrow Pedal” spacing
What makes Tomcat Special Needs Trikes different?
The unique features of Tomcat Special Needs Trikes set them apart from alternatives. These include;
- Two piece frame for ease of transport (except the Tiger model)
- Carer Control™ allows Carer to steer or brake from behind user
- Tomcat developed this signature feature that is now industry standard worldwide. It is the Gold Standard against which all others are judged
- They can be converted to a Trailer-Trike™ easily (except the Tiger model)
- Hitch it to the back of a bike for a fun cycle ride!
- They are the lightest trikes on the market – just 14kg (without accessories) (Basic model weighs just 10.5kg without accessories)
- All Tomcat Trikes are custom built to suit the child or adult – including different gear ratios rather than off the shelf settings
- Option for a hoist accessible Special Needs Trike (The Tamara)
“I think that the gift of Anouk’s trike has been the single most life enhancing act of kindness we have received since Anouk’s diagnosis – it has made a massive difference to her quality of life and hence to ours… Anouk loves it and is very proud of it and we are very grateful.”
Catherine, Richard, Neave and Anouk
- Back rest
- Foot shoes with straps
- Foot shoes with leg supports
- Tomcat Hand Mitts
- Head support
- Lap strap
We offer free home assessments or visit our showroom in Edinburgh
See the full range of Tomcat Special Needs Trikes available in Scotland
A little about the inventor – Bob Griffin
Tomcat Special Needs Trikes founder, Bob Griffin, has been a lifelong professional engineer, with many years experience in manufacturing, marine engineering and innovation.
Bob and Tom soon became best friends and Bob looked for ways to help Tom sleep through increasing his exercise. At that time, trikes were considered unsuitable for children like Tom on safety and ability grounds, however Bob invented an entirely new kind of trike called a “Tomcat” which overcame the difficulties that were holding children like Tom back.
Its main feature was “Carer Control” – a rear steering and braking innovation that put the carer in control of every aspect of the child’s safety.
It became Tomcat signature invention, and the industry standard for special needs trike manufacturers worldwide, however, Tomcats patented system remains the gold standard by which all others are judged.
In 2013, Tomcat won the Queens award for Innovation for the 30 plus innovations that Tomcat developed for the disabled community.